Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup recipe
Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup recipe is a thick and rice beef soup recipe that is quick to make and full of flavor.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 or 5 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 medium bay leaves
- ground pepper
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Quick Barely or Barley Pearls (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cool water
- Turn the Instant Pot on the saute setting and melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Salt and pepper the stew meat.
- Add the seasoned stew meat in small batches to the Instant Pot and brown all sides.
- As the meat browns remove it from the Instant Pot to a bowl until all the stew meat has been browned.
- Once all the stew meat has been browned in the melted butter and removed from the Instant Pot add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the Instant Pot.
- Next add the diced onion, diced celery, and diced carrots to the Instant Pot.
- Saute the vegetables until the onion is almost translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic to the Instant Pot and toss with the other vegetables.
- Saute for another minute.
- Add the browned stew meat along with any accumulated liquids, beef broth and fresh or dried herbs to the Instant Pot.
- Stir to combine. Place the Instant Pot lid on locking it into the closed position. Turn the pressure valve to the sealing position.
- Press the manual button and set the timer to 18 minutes.
- Once the timer has alerted you the Instant Pot has finished pressure cooking allow it to naturally release steam for 2 minutes. Then carefully quick release the remaining steam from the pressure cooker. Carefully remove the lid. Stir the 1 cup of Quick Cook Barley into the hot soup.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with the cool water and stir into the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to the saute function and bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Cook the beef barley soup for 10 minutes more minutes or until the barley is soft and the soup broth has thickened.
- Makes 3 quarts of Instant Pot soup and will serve 6.
- Calories: 665
Keywords: Instant Pot Soup recipe, Instant Pot Beef Soup recipes, Instant Pot Barley Soup recipe, beef barley soup recipe