If you love Rumchata you will be surprised to learn you can make it yourself at home. Homemade Horchata is the real authentic Mexican drink made with rice milk, almond milk, and cinnamon.
Made with or without rum it is a delicious, refreshing and easy to make almond and rice milk drink.
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups rice milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white rum (optional)
Directions to make Homemade Horchata (Dairy free Horchata recipe)
- In a pitcher mix the almond milk, rice milk, sugar, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon.
- Add the white rum if using or skip the rum for an alcohol-free homemade horchata.
- Refrigerate homemade Horchata until ready to serve.
- See note on how long homemade Horchata stays good for.
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- juice of one lime
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small wide bowl (wide enough for your glass) or on a saucer.
- Place the lime juice in a small bowl that is wide enough to fit the rim of your glass in.
- Dip the glass rim in the lime juice and immediately dip the glass rim into the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Place 1/2 a cup of the almond milk mixture into a cocktail shaker full of ice.
- Shake until chilled well.
- Strain into rimmed glass and serve.
- Makes 8- 10 Martini size glasses of homemade Horchata
Check the expiration date on the containers of almond milk and rice milk. Your homemade horchata will last until the closest expiration date as long as it stays refrigerated.
- Category: Cocktail
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: Glass
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrates: 12.4g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.6g