If you can get your hands on fresh figs you will want to read this How To Make Fig Preserves recipe so you can take advantage of fresh fig season. This Homemade Fig Preserves recipe was made with fresh Brown Turkey Figs but you can use whichever type of fresh figs you have. Make fig jam or fresh fig preserves so you can enjoy the flavor of fresh figs all year long. Making preserves from fresh figs is a great way to extend fig season through the winter months.
- 6 cups trimmed, and roughly cut brown turkey figs
- 7 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 teaspoon margarine or butter
- 1 packet liquid pectin
- Wash, trim stems and slice figs into 4th.
- Add first six ingredients to a large pot and let sit about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile boil jars.
- Put flat lids in a small pot of water and boil then turn off the heat.
- On medium heat bring ingredients to a full rolling boil.
- Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in packet of liquid pectin.
- Continue stirring until ingredients come to a full boil.
- Stop stirring and boil for exactly one minute.
- Remove pot from hot burner.
- Allow preserves to settle.
- Skim foam off top.
- Fill jars.
- Process 20 minutes in a hot water bath.
Calories are for an entire Pint jar.
- Serving Size: Per Pint
- Calories: 848
Keywords: Fig Preserves, Homemade Fig Jam, Fresh Fig recipes