If you’d like to spike your homemade eggnog pour 1-2 tablespoons of bourbon or dark rum into the bottom of a glass, top off with eggnog and garnish with cinnamon or nutmeg
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- Heat the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the milk is steaming, 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat and keep warm.
- Divide the egg yolks. Add yolks and sugar to a heavy sauce pan and whisk until smooth. Turn heat on low and continually whisk the yolks and sugar until pale in color. Turn heat on low and while whisking heat the yolk mixture to 160’F. This takes between 15 and 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Temper the custard by whisking in a half cup of the warm milk. Do this about three times. Now pour the warm milk into the pot of custard , whisking to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the cooled eggnog into a large pitcher, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Chilling over night is best.
Number of servings will depend on the size of each serving. Chilling over night is best or even placing the pitch in the freezer 30 minutes before serving chills this eggnog perfectly.
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 325
Keywords: Holiday Eggnog recipe, Christmas Beverages, Holiday Party Drinks