Gouda Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
Gouda Cauliflower Casserole Recipe is packed full of cheesy flavor but is easy to make. This cheesy cauliflower casserole recipe is low carb but so delicious the entire family will love it.
Taste like mac and cheese and is made with two types of cheese. Gouda and Vermont Sharp Cheddar is the star of this Cauliflower Casserole recipe that will make you think you are eating a gourmet mac and cheese recipe.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, stems removed and cut into bite-size flowerets
- 1 small onion diced, about 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 10 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded and divided
- 8 ounces Vermont Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Prepare the cauliflower by trimming the stem and leaves off and cutting into bite-size flowerets.
- Rinse under cold water. Place the cauliflower pieces into a large pot.
- Peel and dice the onion. Add the diced onion to the pot. Fill the pot with cold water and add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Once the cauliflower is fork tender pour through a colander and drain well. Pour the drained cauliflower and onion into a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of ground pepper to the pot.
- Using a metal whisk mix the flour and seasonings into the melted butter and whisk constantly for about 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes slowly pour the milk into the saucepan while whisking. Whisk until combined.
- Continue to whisk the sauce until it begins to thicken. Add the shredded Vermont Cheddar cheese and 3/4 of the shredded Gouda cheese to the thickened sauce in the saucepan.
- Continue to stir with the whisk until the cheese has melted into the white sauce and the sauce is lump free.
- Remove the saucepan from the burner.
- Carefully pour the hot cheese sauce over the cooked cauliflower and onion. Mix well with a large spoon until all the cauliflower is coated with cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining Gouda cheese over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F. degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese on top has melted and turned a light golden brown.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Category: Side Dish Recipe
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 342
Keywords: Cauliflower Casserole recipe, Gouda Cauliflower Casserole recipe, Cauliflower Mac and Cheese, Low Car Side Dish recipe