Fresh baked Rosemary and Garlic Bread is delicious smeared with butter. Make this homemade bread recipe using fresh rosemary and garlic from the garden.
- Mince the garlic and crush the dry rosemary or mince the fresh and place into a small bowl.
- Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil over the garlic and rosemary. Stir to moisten the dry rosemary (if using dry) or to coat the fresh rosemary and garlic. Set aside.
- Put ½ cup of water into a small bowl and warm to body temperature in the microwave.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and stir. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook put the flour, salt and sugar.
- Turn the mixer on low and mix for about 1 minute.
- Measure ¾ cup of water into another bowl and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Warm in the microwave to body temperature.
- Turn the mixer on low and add yeast and water. Mix for one minute.
- Pour the warm water and olive oil into the mixer and mix for about 2 minutes on low.
- Pour in the olive oil and herbs.
- Turn the mixer on medium low and knead with the dough hook for about 5 minutes.
- If the dough seems too wet add about a tablespoon of flour at a time to the bowl and continue to knead. If the dough seems too dry dribble about a teaspoon of olive oil into the bowl.
- Knead until smooth or about 8 to 10 minutes in total.
- Place the ball of dough into a greased bowl and set in a warm spot till it doubles in size, about 1 hour. I put the bowl in my oven with the light turned on.
- After the dough has risen punch down and divide in half.
- You can form the dough into two rounds or two small French bread loaves on a greased cookie sheet or a pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Let loaves rise until doubled. About an hour.
- After the loaves have risen if you have been using your oven to keep them warm remove them from the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Carefully brush some olive oil over the tops.
- Bake the loaves for 30 to 40 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when you knock on the bottom.
- Cool on cooling racks.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 65 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 10.29 g