Homemade Garlic and Rosemary Bread Recipe
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup warm water, divided
- 3 to 5 tbs olive oil
- 2 ½ tbs dry rosemary, crushed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs active dry yeast
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp sugar
- Mince the garlic and crush the dry rosemary and place them into a small bowl. Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil over garlic and rosemary. Stir to moisten the rosemary and set aside.
- Put ½ cup of water into a small bowl and warm to body temperature in the microwave.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and stir. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook put the flour, salt and sugar. Turn the mixer on low and mix for about 1 minute. Measure ¾ cup of water into another bowl and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Warm in the microwave to body temperature.
- Turn the mixer on low and add yeast and water. Mix for one minute. Pour the warm water and olive oil into the mixer and mix for about 2 minutes on low.
- Turn the mixer on medium low and knead with the dough hook for about 5 minutes. If the dough seems too wet add about a tablespoon of flour to the bowl and continue to knead. If the dough seems too dry dribble about a teaspoon of olive oil into the bowl.
- Knead until smooth or about 8 to 10 minutes in total.
- Place the ball of dough into a greased bowl and set in a warm spot till it doubles in size, about 1 hour. I put the bowl in my oven with the light turned on.
- After the dough has risen punch down and divide in half.
- You can form the dough into two rounds or two small French bread loaves on a greased cookie sheet or a pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Let loaves rise until doubled. About an hour.
- After the loaves have risen if you have been using your oven to keep them warm remove them from the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Carefully brush some olive oil over the tops.
- Bake the loaves for 30 to 40 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when you knock on the bottom.
- Cool on cooling racks. Cool completely before cutting.
Makes 2 Rounds or 2 French Bread loaves
- Serving Size: 2 Slices
- Calories: 196