- 7 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 8–12 slices Swiss cheese
- Ecce Panis French Demi Baguettes
- Olive oil for drizzling on bread.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large stock pot.
- Add the onions and cook on medium low until the onions are translucent.
- Add the salt and the sugar, stirring continuously.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook onions until they are caramelized, about 20 to 45 minutes.
- Add about 2 cups of beef broth to the pot and stir well for about 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high.
- Add the remaining beef broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes skimming if necessary. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add shredded cheese.
- Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To Serve
- Bake the Ecce Bake at Home French Demi Bagettes following the directions on the package.
- Allow the baguettes to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle the French Onion soup into bowls.
- Slice the baguette.
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet. Drizzle Olive oil over the slices. Bake at 400 degrees for five minutes. Flip the slices over and bake an additional five minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Place two or more slices of baguettes on top of the soup. Place two slices of Swiss cheese over the bread of each bowl.
- Carefully place the filled soup bowls onto a cookie sheet. Broil until cheese is melted and lightly golden.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 bowl