Freezer Meals Lawnmower Taco Casserole is a delicious and easy way to serve a taco salad to the family. Serve up individual plates and let everyone add their own taco toppings.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning. (I used homemade taco seasoning but you can use an envelope of taco seasoning. See note.)
- 1 tablespoon flour (see note if using an envelope of taco seasoning)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
- about 4 cups of crushed tortilla chips ( I used Restaurant Style chips)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used Colby cheese I had on hand)
Optional Lawnmower Taco Casserole Toppings
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- black olives
- Brown the ground beef and drain well. Return to the skillet and add the broth, taco seasoning and flour (if using). Mix well to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Once cool assemble the freezer meal by spreading half of the crushed tortilla chips into the bottom of a freezable aluminum pan with a lid.
- Spread half the ground beef mixture over the chips.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the meat and repeat the layers.
- Cover with the lid or tightly with aluminum foil.
- Label and place in the freezer and freeze until ready to eat.
- Makes about 4 servings.
To cook Freezer Meals Lawn Mower Taco Casserole
- Remove the pan from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
- When ready to cook preheat the oven to 350 F. Remove the cardboard lid from the aluminum pan and bake uncovered until heated through and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.
You can use an envelope of taco seasoning instead of homemade taco seasoning. If you use the envelope omit the flour which is used as a thickening agent when using homemade taco seasoning.
- Category: Freezer Meals
- Method: Freezer (Baked)
- Cuisine: Mexican