Cherry Blossom Cookies
This Cherry Blossom Cookie Recipe slightly adapted from the Cherry Chocolate Kisses recipe found in the Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest Publication “Christmas Cookies” 2001 is made with a sweet and buttery cookie dough, marachino cherries, and topped with a Herseys Kiss. This is a show stopper when it comes to homemade Christmas cookies.
- 1 cup butter (no substitutions) softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry liquid
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- granulated sugar
- 48 Hershey’s milk chocolate kisses
- Heat oven to 350′ F. Beat butter in a mixing bowl on medium high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar and salt; beat until combined.
- Beat in cherry liquid and almond extract until combined.
- Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in the remaining flour and the cherries with a wooden spoon.
- Chill dough for at least an hour.
- Unwrap all the Hersey kisses and set aside.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls, rolling them in your hand.
- Gently flatten the balls into a disk.
- Dip in granulated sugar, covering all sides of the dough.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on a un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies 10-14 minutes just until the bottom edges are lightly browned.
- Remove each baking sheet of cookies from the oven and immediately press a Hersey kiss into the middle of the hot cookies.
- Let cool about five minutes and carefully move the cookies to a cooling rack with out disturbing the soft Hersey kiss. (see notes).
- Cool completely before storing in a single layer in an air tight container.
It takes a very long time for the Hersey kiss to harden after melting on top of the hot cookie. You can speed it up placing the cookies in refrigerator for 20 minutes or so. Be sure the Hersey kisses have hardened before storing or the kiss can be damaged.
Chilling the dough is not unnecessary but it makes handling the dough so much easier.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 Cookies
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrates: 13.2g
Keywords: Cherry Blossom Cookies, Cookie Exchange Recipe, Christmas Cookies, Blossom Cookie recipe