Fairy Food Cake: Vintage Recipe Project
- 4 eggs, room temperature and separated
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or 1 bean scraped
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Separate the eggs into two small bowls. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into another bowl.
- Put the egg yolks, water, and vanilla or vanilla bean seeds into a bowl and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add sugar and beat until pale yellow.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter just until combined.
- Pour or I should say spoon ( because the batter is thick), into your choice of greased pan.
- This recipe will fill an angel food pan, 2 loaf pans or 8 mini bundt pans.
- Bake an angel food pan about 45 minutes, the loaf pans about 35 minutes or the mini pans about 25 minutes.
- Check frequently and make sure the top is not getting over browned.
- As with all baking times, it really depends on your oven so times are approximate.
- Cool about 15 minutes and run a butter knife around the edges of the pan. Flip the pan over and gently tap until the cake is released.
- Cool on a rack.
- Best served the same day.
- Frost with my Orange Curd Creme Fraiche Whipped Topping. Or top individual pieces with a scoop of fresh fruit and whipped cream.
- Category: Vintage Recipes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece