Homemade Lemon Curd is easy to make and tastes divine on a muffin or scone.
- 4 tablespoons fine lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
stickof softened butter
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- Zest and juice approximately 3 large lemons. (You may need more or less depending on the size of the lemons.)
- In a stand mixer or large bowl with a hand-held mixer beat the lemon zest and sugar 2 minutes, to release the oils.
- Add the butter and beat for about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl in between.
- Beat for 2 minutes until a light yellow.
- Add the lemon juice and beat for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart stainless steel saucepan.
- Heat on medium high, whisking all the time and bring to a low boil.
- Cook continually whisking until thickened, about 4 minutes. Using an instant read thermometer make sure it has reached at least 175 F. degrees.
- Lemon curd should be the consistency of a cream sauce.
- Transfer from the hot pot to a large bowl with out scrapping any darkened bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Allow to come to room temperature.
- Pour the lemon curd into a mason jar or bowl and refrigerate.
- Keeps for about 2 weeks refrigerated.
- Makes about 24 ounces.