This Easy Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce is made without cream cheese or heavy whipping cream. This homemade Alfredo sauce is made with milk and flour. You won't believe how good it is until you make the recipe yourself!
- 1 lb box of fettuccini noodles, cooked
- 4 tbs butter or stick margarine
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- ½ to ¾ a cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- or a parmesan cheese blend
- Cook the pasta as directed on the box in the salted water.
- Start boiling the water about 10 minutes before you start making your sauce.
- You want to have the pasta ready at about the same time your sauce will be finished.
To make the Alfredo sauce:
- Add the butter, salt, and pepper to a heavy, medium-sized pot. Heat over a medium heat.
- You don't want to use too small of a pot because you will be whisking the sauce as it cooks and thickens. If the pot is too small the sauce could splash and drip over the side of the pot making a big mess.
- Once the butter has melted add the flour and whisk until smooth, removing all lumps from the flour.
- Slowly pour the milk in and whisk until smooth again. Turn the heat up a bit to about medium-high.
- Add ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese, whisk until combined. Taste to see if the flavor of Parmesan is strong enough for you. If not, add the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Continue whisking until the sauce has thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. The sauce will thicken even further as it cools. If it thickens too much before you can add it to your pasta thin it with a little pasta water or milk.
- Drain your pasta and put into a large bowl. Pour the Alfredo sauce over the pasta and mix until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately with a crusty french bread or a slice of homemade white bread.
You can use the powdered Parmesan cheese or fresh Parmesan cheese. I've used both. Adjust the amounts used if using fresh. Fresh is a bit stronger.
Start with ½ cup of Parmesan cheese and taste before adding more.
- Calories: 637
Keywords: Alfredo sauce with milk, homemade fettuccine Alfredo recipe, Alfredo recipe with milk, Alfredo recipe without cream, how to make Alfredo sauce