Double Chocolate Gelato Recipe
- 2 cups (16 fluid oz/500ml) whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (6oz/185 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 oz (125 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup 93/4 oz/20 g) unsweetened cocoa
- Pour the milk into a medium-sized, heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat.
- In a metal bowl, whisk together the eggs yolks, sugar and corn syrup until blended.
- Form a kitchen towel into a ring and place the bowl on top to prevent it from moving.
(This did not work well for me so I had my daughter hold the bowl as I slowly poured the hot milk into the egg mixture.)
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the same saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring slowly and continuously with a wooden spatula, until the custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of the spatula when a finger is drawn across it, about 6 minutes, do not allow to boil.
- This took more like 15 minutes on my electric stove top.
- Pour the custard through a medium-mesh sieve set over a clean metal bowl.
- Add the chocolate and cocoa and stir until the chocolate melts.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Transfer the custard to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Category: Ice Cream Recipe
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Double Chocolate Gelato recipe, Homemade Gelato, Ice Cream Maker Gelato recipe