Easy and simple Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe is a great ground beef crock pot recipe for the family. I’ve included my tips to making perfectly cooked white rice that never turns out mushy!
- 2 cups cooked long-grain white rice brought to room temperature (see my perfect white rice everytime instructions below)
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper (cut the cap off one bell pepper and dice)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large green bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- two 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- Before beginning cook the long grain white rice and allow to cool to room temp. (see my perfect white rice everytime instructions below)
- Cook the ground beef: In a large skillet heat the olive oil. Add the diced onion, diced green pepper, and minced garlic to the pan. Saute about 3 minutes. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned and no longer pink. Breaking up the meat as you cook it. Add the Italian seasoning and cook for one minute, remove from the heat and carefully drain the browned ground beef well. Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the filling: In a large bowl mix the browned ground beef with 1 cup of the cooked white rice, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Prepare the bell peppers: Cut the cap off each bell pepper, remove the seeds and the fibrous pieces from the inside. Stand each bell pepper inside a 6-quart crock pot.
- Fill the bell peppers: Fill each bell pepper with the filling until almost overflowing.
- Slow cook the stuffed bell peppers: Pour the two cans of tomato sauce over the top of the filled bell peppers. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or on high for 3.5 hours. Right before serving top each bell pepper with about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Recover and heat until the cheese is melted.
- Serve each stuffed bell pepper over a bed of cook white rice if desired.
How To Cook White Rice Perfectly Every Time
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Rinse the white rice in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs almost clear. This may take up to five minutes. Do not skip this step. This is one of the secrets to cooking white rice that is not mushy.
- While you are rinsing the rice measure 2 cups of water ( and salt if using) into a saucepan that has a tight-fitting lid. Turn the burner on high and bring the water to a hard boil.
- Add the well-rinsed rice to the pot and stir once just to make sure the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Return the pot to a full boil. Stir once more to make sure the rice isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pot and to break up any clumps of rice. Place the lid on the pot and boil hard for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute turn the heat off. Do not lift the lid of the pot. If the rice water starts to sputter and run over the sides of the pot slide the pot off the hot burner. Leave undisturbed for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes you may lift the lid and check on the rice. It should be cooked completely with no water in the bottom of the pot. Use a spoon or fork to fluff the rice up. If you can still see water put the lid back on the pot and wait another 20 minutes. By then the rice should have absorbed all the water and be cooked perfectly, still holding its shape and not mushy.
- If your rice is mushy you did not measure the water or rice correctly or bring the water to a hot enough boil. Dump it and start over again or eat the mushy rice if you can’t stand to throw it away.
- I have been cooking perfect white rice this way for over 20 years. It works no matter how much rice you are cooking. The amount of water to long grain white rice ratio is always the same. 2 times the amount of water for the amount of rice.
- 1 cup of uncooked rice will yield 2 cups of cooked white rice.
- Category: Crock Pot Recipes
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Pepper
- Calories: 373
Keywords: crock pot ground beef recipe, stuffed sweet bell peppers, tips for cooking perfect white rice