New Orleans Creole Style Crock Pot Jambalaya Recipe
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into chunks
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces country style smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 1–14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 small or 2 large bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning
- 1 pound of peeled raw shrimp
- 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
- To make a roux to thicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the first twelve ingredients into a 6-quart crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours until the chicken is cooked through.
- Cook the rice following the directions on the package.
- In a small sauce pan melt the butter. Once melted add the flour, salt and pepper.
- Whisk constantly until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the chicken broth while whisking (will be thick).
- Immediately stir the roux into the crock pot.
- Add the shrimp and stir.
- Cook 30 more minutes until the shrimp is bright pink and cooked through.
- Serve over a bowl of cooked white rice.
- Makes about 6-8 servings
- Category: Crock Pot Recipes
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Creole
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl with Rice
- Calories: 472