Make this red, white and blue Crock Pot Cherry Upside Down Cake recipe for the 4th of July. Or leave the cake mix white and enjoy it any time of the year.
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 box white cake mix
- ingredients to make white cake
- blue food coloring (optional)
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- Line a 6 quart crock pot with parchment paper.
- Spread the pie filling on the bottom of the parchment lined crock pot bottom.
- Mix the cake mix following packaging directions.
- Spread 1 3/4 of the cake batter over the cherry pie filling.
- Add a few drops of blue food coloring to the remaining cake batter in the bowl beating it in well.
- Spread the blue colored cake batter over the uncolored cake batter layer in the crock pot.
- Stretch a double layer of paper towels over the top of the crock pot. Place the lid on and cook for 2 hours on high.
- Uncover the crock pot and remove the damp paper towels.
- Carely lift the cake by the corners of the parchment paper and place on a oval shaped serving platter.
- Place a similar shaped platter on top of the cake.
- Grasp and sandwich the cake between the platters and quickly flip.
- Remove parchment paper immediately.
- Allow cake to cool before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Makes at least 8 servings or more depending on how large you slice the cake.
Using a different size slow cooker will not yield the same results. A 6 quart slow cooker was used for this recipe and the cooking time is for that specific size slow cooker. A large slow cooker will cook in a shorter amount of time. I would not suggest using a smaller size slow cooker with this recipe as it might not cook completely in the center while the outside edges may over cook.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 553