Easy Southern Style Candied Sweet Potatoes recipe
Easy Southern Style Candied Sweet Potatoes recipe made in a crock pot slow cooker is a family favorite holiday side dish recipe. Fresh sweet potatoes dripping in a sweet cinnamon sauce covered in marshmallow is the best holiday sweet potato recipe you’ll ever make.
- 3 pounds fresh sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2–3/4 bag of mini marshmallows
- Place all the ingredients except the sweet potatoes and mini marshmallows into a medium saucepan.
- Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Once the syrup starts to boil cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat.
- Place half the sweet potatoes into the bottom of a 4-quart crock pot.
- Pour half the syrup over the sweet potatoes.
- Layer the remaining sweet potato slices in the crock pot.
- Pour remaining syrup over the sweet potato slices.
- Fold a triple layer of paper towels and place over the top of the crock pot.
- Place lid on crock pot and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until fork tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fork tender spread the mini marshmallows over the top of the sweet potato slices.
- Replace lid and turn crock pot on warm.
- Serve once marshmallows are melted.
- Sprinkle some ground cinnamon over the marshmallows if desired.
- Keep warm if not serving immediately.
This candied sweet potato recipe is best made with fresh sweet potatoes. Canned sweet potatoes or canned yams will not work since they are already cooked and they will turn into a pile of mush.
- Category: Crock Pot Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 454
Keywords: southern style candied sweet potatoes, crock pot candied sweet potatoes, sweet potato recipe