- Pour the apple pie filling into a 4 quart crock pot.
- Mix the brown sugar, flour, almonds/almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into pieces and using your hands rub the butter into the dry ingredients until medium crumbles form.
- Remove 1/2 cup and set aside.
- Beat the egg and vanilla together.
- Add the egg to the bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Drop dough by the spoonful over the top of the apple pie filling.
- With the back of the spoon spread the topping over the apples.
- Sprinkle reserved crumbs over the top.
- Cover the top of the crock pot with a triple layer of paper towels.
- Place the crock pot lid over the paper towels.
- Cook for 2.5 hours on low.
- After 2.5 hours remove the lid and paper towels and continue to cook for another 30-45 minutes or until the topping has cooked through.