Take advantage of the summer asparagus season and make this easy Cream of Roasted Asparagus Soup recipe.
- 3 1/2 cup of asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces (about 2 lbs)
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 a medium onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cream Soup Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Spread the asparagus pieces, onion and garlic over a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated 400 F. oven for 15-20 minutes, tossing once half way through the cooking time.
- Remove from oven when done and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the vegetables are roasting melt the butter in a medium size sauce pan on medium high.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to the sauce pan once the butter has melted.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the butter and cook for 2 minutes, whisking continuously.
- Slowly add the milk to the sauce pan while whisking, being sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan until the flour mixture is incorporated into the milk.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk until melted into the sauce.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, whisking the entire time.
- Once the sauce has come to a boil continue cooking until thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Put the asparagus, onion and garlic into a large pot.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and slowly bring to a boil. Once boiling add the cream sauce to the pot and whisk until incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the asparagus is tender. Cooking time will depend on how thick the asparagus is.
- Once tender using a slotted spoon transfer 3/4th of the asparagus pieces, the onion and garlic to a blender.
- Pulse until liquefied.
- Return to the pot and simmer an addition 10 minutes or until the soup is piping hot.
- Grate some Parmesan cheese on each serving and garnish with a few asparagus pieces if desired.
- Makes about 4 servings.
- Category: Cream Soup recipe