Chocolate Cupcakes with Kahlua Buttercream Frosting are a decadent dessert option for a special adult only occasion.
- Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Kahlua Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 1 softened stick unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- Cupcake Directions
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl. Set aside.
- Add the cocoa to the boiling water and mix until all lumps have dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the bowl with the creamed butter and sugar.
- Beat on high for about 2 minutes.
- Add half the dry ingredients and half the cocoa mixture to the bowl and beat for about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and cocoa mixture to the bowl and beat for 2 minutes on high.
- Fill the cupcake wells 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven or (325-degree oven for dark pans) for 20-24 minutes or until the top of a cupcake springs back when touched.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting Directions
- Cream the softened butter in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar to bowl and beat on medium.
- Add the Kahlua to the frosting and beat for 3 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake