Chicken Tortellini and White Bean Soup is a delicious soup recipe perfect for lunch or dinner.
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb Boneless Chicken Breast
- 1 small whole white onion, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 large Bay leaves
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 8 ounce package Barilla 3 Cheese Tortellini
- 1 15 ounce can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- handful of very baby spinach leaves (optional)
- Handful of fresh parsley (optional)
- Add first 8 ingredients to a stock pot.
- Bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer. Simmer until chicken is cooked completely.
- Remove chicken,onion and bay leaves from the pot. Discard onion. Allow chicken to cool.
- Strain liquid from the stock pot through a fine mesh strainer, reserving the pieces of carrot and liquid. Discard solids from strainer.
- Wash the pot and return the reserved liquid, bay leaves, carrots and 4 cups of chicken stock to the pot.
- Return heat to high and bring to a boil.
- While the water is heating pull apart the chicken meat into bite size pieces.
- Add the dry tortellini to the pot of boiling water and stir to keep the tortellini from sticking. After about 5 minutes add the can of rinsed cannellini beans and chicken meat to the pot and stir.
- Continue boiling until the tortellini is tender and cooked through about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with bread or crackers.
- If you have some baby spinach leaves or parsley on hand you can rinse and roll the spinach leaves and slice them thinly and add to the hot soup. For parsley rinse and chop finely.
Fresh spinach or parsley is not necessary for the flavor of the soup but makes a nice contrasting color to the other ingredients.