Blueberry Cheesecake Bars are 4 delicious layers of homemade goodness topped with homemade lemon curd and fresh Florida blueberries.
Homemade Blueberry Filling Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh From Florida Blueberries, washed and drained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cheesecake Filling Ingredients
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter
- 2/3 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- ½ cup of butter softened
- ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- ⅔ cups of flour
- ¼ cup almond meal or finely chopped sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Homemade Blueberry Filling Directions
- Place all the ingredients into a medium sauce pan and slowly bring to a boil.
- Boil stirring constantly until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Do not use filling for this recipe while it is still hot.
- Makes 1 pint
Cheesecake Filling Directions
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth then add the butter and beat for 1-2 minutes or until combined well.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar to the bowl and beat on low until combined well. Then beat on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Makes about 3 cups of cheesecake filling. You'll only need 2 cups if you use an 8 x 8 inch baking pan. Either discard the leftovers or use in another recipe that will be baked.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the extract and beat until mixed in well.
- Add the flour and almond meal. Beat 3 minutes on high scrapping the bowl once.
- Spread the crust/bottom layer over the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Cut the parchment paper long enough that there is an inch or two over hanging the sides of the pan. (perfect handles to lift the baked bars out of the pan easily!)
- Press the crust batter into the bottom of the pan and gently work it flush to the edges of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F. degree oven for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before moving to the next step.
- Cream butter and sugar together and beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and extract then beat an additional 2 minutes.
- Mix in the flour and almond meal, beating on low until mixed in well then increase the mixer speed to medium high
and beat for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Assembling and baking the Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
You will need:
- The prepared crust layer in the 8 x 8 baking pan.
- 2 cups of cheesecake filling
- 3/4 to 1 cup blueberry filling
- Prepared cake batter recipe
- 1/4 cup of almond slices
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- When the crust has cooled spread 2 cups of cheesecake batter over the cooled crust layer in the 8 x 8 baking pan. Spread the cheesecake filling almost up to the sides of the pan staying about an inch away from the edges.
- Spread 3/4 to 1 cup of the blueberry filling gently over the cheesecake layer.Drop cake batter by the tablespoon over the blueberry filling and spread with a spatula all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle the almond slices over the top of the batter. Sprinkle the granulated sugar over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F. degree oven for 34-37 minutes or until top is a golden brown and the center is firm when lightly touched.
- Remove the pan from oven and allow to cool completely then refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight will work also) before cutting to allow the filling to firm up.
- Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
- Once cool cut into 9 squares.
- If desired sift powdered sugar over each blueberry cake bar and garnish with a teaspoon of homemade lemon curd and fresh blueberries when serving.
- Serves 9
- Alternately may be made in a 9 x 13 inch brownie pan. See recipe notes below.
To use the entire 3 cup batch of cheesecake filling in this recipe use a 9 x 13 inch baking pan (brownie pan) instead of an 8 x 8 inch pan. This method will yield Blueberry Cheesecake Bars that are not as thick as shown here. Also decrease the baking time for the crust layer to 5 minutes if using the larger baking pan. You'll use 1 - 1 1/2 cups of blueberry filling using the larger pan.
- Serving Size: 1 Dessert Bar
- Calories: 978