Make this old fashioned classic and Best Bread Stuffing Recipe with poultry seasoning and you will never make another homemade bread stuffing recipe again.
- 1 stick unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups finely diced onion, about 2 medium
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced celery, about 5 medium sized celery stalks
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves from the center of the celery bunch
- 3 tablespoons poultry seasoning, I use Badia brand
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 lb french bread cut into 2–3 inch long strips and toasted in the oven until golden brown
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- Toast the bread pieces and cool before beginning.
- On medium high heat in a very large skillet melt the stick of butter.
- Add the onions, celery, celery leaves, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to the melted butter.
- Cook stirring constantly until the onions are slightly golden and translucent.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in half of the bread pieces, tossing well to coat with the vegetables and seasonings.
- Add the remaining bread pieces and parsley to the pan.
- Mix until all the pieces of bread are completely covered with vegetables and seasonings.
- Add chicken broth as needed until two cups of the broth have been incorporated.
- Butter a casserole dish with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Spread the stuffing into the casserole dish.
- Just before baking pour the remaining 1/4 cup of chicken brother over the top and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F. degree oven for 30 – 45 minutes.
- For the last 15 minutes remove the aluminum foil and allow the top to lightly brown.
- Makes about 6 one cup servings of bread stuffing.
- Category: Bread Stuffing
- Cuisine: American