- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 to 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely minced fresh basil leaves
- In a heavy bottomed medium size saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted add the salt if using and ground black pepper to the pan and whisk.
- Add the flour to the saucepan and whisk for about 2 minutes or until the flour and butter have formed a thick paste that is lump free and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Slowly add one cup of milk to the saucepan and whisk until combined well before adding the remaining cup of milk.
- Add the Parmesan cheese to the pot and whisk to combine. You may see strings of melted cheese if using fresh Parmesan but they will melt and combine with the sauce.
- Whisk continually to keep the Alfredo sauce from scorching and bring to a boil.
- Boil the Alfredo sauce until it has thickened.
- Once the homemade Alfredo sauce has thickened to your liking remove the sauce pot from the heat.
- Stir in the minced fresh basil until combined with the Alfredo sauce.
- Makes 2 cups of Creamy Basil Alfredo Sauce.
- Category: Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- Method: Whisked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 125
- Carbohydrates: 5.7g
- Protein: 6.3g