This is a great recipe to feed a large family. Or you can divided the pasta and meatballs into two 8 by 8 baking dishes. Serve one tray of Baked Spaghetti with Meatballs for dinner and freeze the other tray of Baked Spaghetti with Meatballs for another night. Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs is an easy freezer meal.
To make the meatballs-
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl until combined well.
- Form about 28 medium meatballs.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides in a skillet.
- Pour off excess grease and pour half the jar of spaghetti sauce over the meatballs.
- Turn the meatballs down to low to simmer.
- Simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
To Make the Pasta
- Bring a large pot to of salted water to a boil.Slice the mozzarella cheese if you are using a block of cheese instead of shredded.
- Add spaghetti noodles to boiling water and cook till el dente.
- Drain spaghetti well and return to the large pot.
To Assemble the Baked Spaghetti & Meatball Dish
- Pour the remaining spaghetti sauce from the jar into the pot of pasta and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Thinly slice the cheese if you are using a block of mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the spaghetti into a large baking pan.
- Arrange meatballs over the top of pasta.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce the meatballs cooked in over the meatballs in the baking dish.
- Arrange the sliced mozzarella in a single layer over the meatballs or sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the meatballs.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, 20-30 minutes.
- Serves 6-8
Cook time is an approximate combined time for the meatballs, pasta and baked spaghetti. Time will vary for each home cook.