Celebrate fall with these Apple Spice Cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 heaping teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup softened and room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup homemade apple sauce or your favorite store bought apple sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 to 1 cup diced apple pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. degrees and prepare a 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a hand held mixer or a stand mixer on medium cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes.
- Next beat the egg in until completely incorporated.
- Add the applesauce and beat well.
- Combine the buttermilk and warm water.
- Alternately add half the liquid and half the flour mixture to the bowl while beating on low.
- Once all the ingredients have been added to the bowl beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fold the apple pieces into the batter.
- Evenly divide the batter between 24 muffin wells filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 minutes turning the pan half way through the baking time.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting or my Caramel Apple Coffee Butter Cream Frosting recipe
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake