Apple and Cranberry Turnovers are the ultimate fall dessert recipe. Serve these Apple and Cranberry Turnovers with a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 5 Cups thinly sliced, peeled granny smith apples about 8 medium
- 1/2 cup fresh whole cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- zest from one large orange
- pinch of salt
To Make the Crust
- Soften butter and cream cheese on the counter.
- Separate the egg, set yolk aside and refrigerate the egg white until your ready to bake the turnovers.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat 2 tablespoons of the water into the egg yolk.
- Gradually add the egg yolk to the cream cheese and butter, beat until smooth.
- Slowly add flour 1/2 at a time, beating with the mixer until the batter becomes too thick, then using a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining flour.
- Once the flour is incorporated scoop the dough into a zip top bag, seal and chill for at least one hour. Over night is fine also.
To Make the Filling
- Zest the orange. Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice.Measure 1/4 cup of orange juice. Put the zest and juice into a large bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples. Then cut the slices in half across the width. Add the apple slices to the bowl of orange juice and stir. Slice a couple of apples at a time adding the slices to the bowl and stirring to coat. The orange juice will help keep the apple slices from browning. Slice apples until you have 5 cups of apple slices.
- Rinse the cranberries and add to bowl of apple slices.
- Add apple slices and cranberries to a large skillet, with the sugars, cinnamon, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir and cook on medium until the apple slices are softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Making the turnovers
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1/8th inch thickness. Using a 4 or 5 inch circle cookie cutter cut circles of dough. Move the dough circles to a cookies sheet covered with parchment paper or greased with butter.
- Add a tablespoon of filling in the center of the circle of dough, dampen the edges with your finger dipped in water, pull the dough over and gently press the edges together.
- Carefully press the tines of a fork into the edge to seal, being careful not to pierce the turnover.
- Beat the egg white with the reserved tablespoon of water. Brush the tops of the turnovers with the egg white wash and sprinkle with some white sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven.
If you have a little filling left over spoon it over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. This filling made a delicious topping for the ice cream you see picture.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe in the Taste of Home Baking Classics Cook Book
- Serving Size: 2 turnovers
- Calories: 184