Jalapeno Cheddar Skillet Cornbread
Disclosure: I made a delicious savory Jalapeno Cheddar Skillet Cornbread recipe using SPLENDA® Sweeteners as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
Nothing tastes better on a cold winter day than a big bowl of hot soup or chili with a thick wedge of piping hot Jalapeno Cheddar Skillet Cornbread. And don’t forget the butter. It must have a fat pat of butter melting over the top and dripping over the edges.
Now I like my cornbread on the sweet side. So I always add a little sweetener to the recipe. That sweetener would be white sugar. But in the past 6 months I have cut way back on my sugar intake. When I say I cut way back I mean I did a 180 in one day. That day was the day I got the results of some lab work after a checkup.
I had to make some some changes in the way I was eating or I was on the road to some serious health issues. The first change I made was to stop eating white sugar. For years I have been keeping a box of SPLENDA® Sweeteners on hand for when my mother in law came over.
There aren’t many savory recipes that call for sugar and when they do it is a small amount. I am happy to share that if you are like me for whatever reason and you are avoiding sugar you can once again enjoy sweet cornbread with my #SweetSwaps Jalapeno Cheddar Skillet Cornbread recipe. It tastes delicious! I didn’t notice a difference swapping SPLENDA® Sweeteners for the sugar in my recipe.
SPLENDA® Sweeteners offers the sweetness of sugar, without all the calories! That makes SPLENDA® Sweeteners a perfect replacement in all your cooking, baking and beverage mixing needs.
How to make a #SweetSwaps Jalapeno Cheddar Skillet Cornbread
Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees.
Gather your ingredients.
Put the butter in the skillet and put the skillet in the oven to melt the butter.
Measure out the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
In a large bowl whisk the buttermilk and eggs together.
Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven, pour the melted butter into the bowl of buttermilk mixture and whisk until combined.
Pour the flour mixture into the bowl of buttermilk and whisk until combined.
Fold the cheddar cheese and jalapenos into the batter.
Pour the Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread batter into the hot skillet.
Add a few jalapeno slices to the top if you like.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Enjoy this Jalapeno Cheddar Skillet Cornbread recipe with a bowl of chili or soup.
The Sweet Swaps program is dishing out hundreds of ways to save calories by swapping full sugar for SPLENDA® Sweeteners.
- 2 cups stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Sweetener
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅓-1/2 cup pickled jalapeño peppers, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 F. degrees.
- Add the butter to an iron skillet and place in the hot oven to melt.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl whisk the buttermilk and eggs together.
- Carefully remove the hot iron skillet from the oven and pour the melted butter into the buttermilk mixture.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold the jalapeño peppers and cheddar cheese into the batter.
- Pour into the skillet, return to the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.