Homemade Holidays Christmas Granola
I love to give homemade food items as Christmas gifts to close friends and sometimes my neighbors. Not only do I enjoy making the holiday treats but not everyone cooks and bakes like I do so they appreciate it even more when I share my goodies with them. So far this year I have made this Christmas Granola recipe, chocolate covered marshmallows, a peppermint hot cocoa mix, Chex party mix and chocolate dipped spoons.
This recipe makes plenty to give as gifts and still have some left over to keep for yourself. I still have my Christmas cookies to make.
Homemade Granola Tips
- Use parchment paper to cover trays to make cleanup easy.
- Granola may seem a little damp after baking. As it cools the last of the moisture will evaporate.
- Allow granola to cool completely before storing.
- Package in mason jars, holiday cellophane bags or plastic Christmas containers
- 5 cups of old fashioned oats
- 1 cup barley oats
- 1 ½ cups sweetened coconut, reserve ½ cup
- 1 cup pecan halves, lightly chopped
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup vegetable oil or oil of choice
- Juice of 2 oranges
- zest of two oranges
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, honey and oil. Set aside.
- Mix the dried cranberries and raisins in a small bowl and pour the orange juice over the dried fruit and toss. Let them soak while you're mixing up the rest of the recipe.
- Into a very large bowl mix the oats, nuts, 1 cup of coconut and orange zest. Toss until everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the oats mixture and toss to evenly coat all the oats and nuts. If it seems a little dry add some of the orange juice and mix. Start out with about 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and adjust. You don't want the granola soaking wet.
- Divide between two large baking sheets.
- Do not add the cranberries and raisins yet.
- Bake the granola for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Half way through the baking time pull the sheets out of the oven and toss.
- Remove the granola from the oven. Drain the cranberries and raisins. Divide the fruit between the two trays and toss.
- Cool slightly and add the ½ reserved coconut and toss again.
- Allow granola to cool completely before storing in an airtight container or packaging up in individual holiday packaging.