Fairy Food Cake
This Fairy Food Cake
Fairy Food Cake Creme Fraiche and Orange Curd Whipped Topping
Based on the name and the directions to make a Fairy Food Cake I assumed it was just an old fashioned name for an angel food cake. But after baking and tasting a Fairy Food Cake I will have to say it is a cross between an angel food cake and a pound cake. It is light and fluffy but also a bit on the dense side.
- a parfait like strawberry filling I made
- a spoon full of the orange curd I made and
- a crème fraiche orange curd whipped topping,(what you see here) . I should have used a layer of the orange curd for the filling between the slices also. Next time I will.
- I also sliced some thin pieces and spread them with some nutella and topped it with the orange curd crème fraiche whipped topping, stacking the thin pieces. Yum!
How to make Fairy Food Cake
- 4 eggs, room temperature and separated
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or 1 bean scraped
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Separate the eggs into two small bowls. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into another bowl.
- Put the egg yolks, water and vanilla or vanilla bean seeds into a bowl and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add sugar and beat until pale yellow.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter just until combined.
- Pour or I should say spoon ( because the batter is thick) , into your choice of greased pan.
- This recipe will fill an angel food pan, 2 loaf pans or 8 mini bundt pans.
- Bake an angel food pan about 45 minutes, the loaf pans about 35 minutes or the mini pans about 25 minutes.
- Check frequently and make sure the top is not getting over browned.
- As with all baking times it really depends on your oven so times are approximate.
- Cool about 15 minutes and run a butter knife around the edges of the pan. Flip the pan over and gently tap until the cake is released.
- Cool on a rack.
- Best served the same day.
- Frost with my Orange Curd Creme Fraiche Whipped topping.
- Or top individual pieces with a scoop of fresh fruit and whipped cream.